Thursday, May 29, 2014

Math Fables (Review)


Okay, I am a self-proclaimed nerd, so books like Math Fables by Greg Tang really appeal to me. My kids love this book too! I think it's a great way to incorporate math in a fun and creative way. This book tells stories that include the numbers 1-10. Throughout the stories, the author shows the different ways to get to one sum. For example, for the number 8, there are 8 crabs in the story. 5 crabs complain and 3 crabs tell them why it's so hot outside. Then 4 crabs head to the shore and 4 more haul all the stuff to the beach. Then 7 stand on the beach while 1 jumps in. Then another crab jumps in so 2 are in the ocean while 6 stay on the shore. The stories are really cute and entertaining and it's a great way to show kids these math skills.

Also, at the end of the book are several suggested activities for ways to use the book other than just reading. Very, very cool and something I can see using in the future for homeschooling or reiterating lessons. Great illustrations too! I highly recommend this book.

No comments: