Thursday, March 19, 2020

Coronavirus Update

I feel like if I don't blog about the coronavirus now, I'm going to wonder why not in about 20 years. This is definitely a turn of events in our nation's history that has never happened before and may not ever happen again. I don't really have the time right now to articulate exactly what's happening in the country (there is a lot of turmoil) but I figured I will jot down some notes before I forget.


  • Our life hasn't changed TOO drastically. We still do school every day. The difference is there are no extracurriculars except for karate. Jujitsu, gymnastics, Scouts, church, co-op, our STEAM classes and food labs at the library, baseball, have all been canceled.
  • I'm doing more puzzles than ever.
  • I'm still teaching online and taking a nap during the day, I just have time for two short naps now instead of one typically, so I'm sleeping closer to 6-7 hours in a 24-hour period. Wahoo!!
  • I bought a label maker when I first realized we were going to be headed toward a quarantine, so my house is about to be labelfied! (Yes, I invented that word).
  • Brianna's gym where she takes gymnastics is offering daily classes online for the kids. So far they have offered live classes on Irish dancing, better jumps for cheerleaders, and a shoulder workout. More to come!
  • Karate is taking every precaution against the virus. Kids must have their temperature taken before going into class. Their belt test next week will be done completely online in an unprecendented move.
  • Zoos, schools, museums, libraries, and tons of other facilities are offering live shows and free resources during this time. 
  • The pollen is here so we can't even play outside for hours at a time. It makes 3/4 of our family feel as though our head is going to explode.
  • We have plenty of food but the main thing people seem to be hoarding is toilet paper. We also have plenty of that because I did my monthly grocery trip right before this all started.
  • Our church will be livestreaming services for the first time ever. 

So, like I said, not a TON of disruption here. We're obviously home a lot more (A LOT MORE) than usual but I am welcoming it! I'm so happy to be forced into this! And honestly we haven't had a second to be bored yet. We have so many projects to work on and school and chores and games, we are busy from the time we wake up until bedtime. Of course the kids do get to watch TV during their lunch hour and then they get a little electronic time right around dinner time. They aren't totally deprived!

No comments: