Friday, March 15, 2013

Psalm 32

Although I've been keeping up with my in-depth study on the book of Psalms, I haven't had time to blog about it. I'm going to try to get back into it because I hope that other people get something when they read these blogs. The psalms are so cool for two reasons: they are so similar, and they are so different. Yes, you read that right. There are things that need to be repeated because we are so hard-headed it takes it a while to sink it. And yet each psalm has a different flavor... hits a different nerve... helps in a variety of situations.

Anyway. On to Psalm 32! What a great read this morning.




Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.
When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.
For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah.
I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.
For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him.
Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.
I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.
Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee.
10 Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the Lord, mercy shall compass him about.
11 Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.

I am so blessed because my sins are forgiven. All my wrongs are covered by the blood of Jesus (verse 1). Psalm 85:2 tells us this too, saying that God has forgiven our iniquities and covered our sins. Psalm 103:3 also talks about God forgiving all our iniquities.

I am blessed because in God's eyes I am innocent of my sins, thanks to the sacrifice of Jesus and by God's grace. We should strive to have no guile found in our mouths, because this is a characteristic of Jesus. We should have that desire in ourselves. (Verse 2)

When I keep silent and try to hide my sin from God, I just make life harder on myself. It distracts me. It exhausts me. It makes me feel guilty. It sets me apart from God. (verses 3 and 4)

But here is the good news - when I acknowledge that sin, and quit hiding it, God forgives me readily. (Verse 5). Proverbs 28:13 says the person who tries to cover up his sins won't prosper, but if we confess them and turn away from that sin, we'll find mercy. That is such great scripture, and it's really for our own good. As I just said, when I try to cover up my sin and make myself seem perfect, it's exhausting. And it hurts my relationship with God. God is telling us how easy it is to come to him, acknowledge what we've done wrong, and take steps to turn from it.

God, you are my hiding place. You are my refuge. You surround me. 

God will instruct me and teach me and guide me with His eye - HIS eye which is perfect, and all-seeing, and can see my future. But I've got to be careful to pay attention to him. If I don't listen to God's instructions, I'm just like an old stubborn mule. And that doesn't do me any good.

People who choose to live against God will not have true joy. Ever. But for those of us who entrust our lives to Jesus, we will have joy and mercy in our lives. Therefore we must be glad! And rejoice! And Shout to the world that we have joy and why we are so joyous!

I would love to know if you have any thoughts to add to this beautiful scripture! Something I missed? Something I misinterpreted? Something I should take note of?  

A beautiful version of "You Are My Hiding Place" which goes with this scripture perfectly. Less than two minutes long, it's a Mongolian a capella version.

No comments: