Monday, July 27, 2015

Reality Check: It's Not All About You



In my Bible study today there was a point made that I hope we're all aware of, but many of us tend to forget at times.

Church is not all about you.

I know. Gasp! Horrors! Blasphemy! Look, I get it. Most of us (myself included) are completely selfish people. We can't help it. It's our sinful nature coming out full force. I like it when stuff is made easier for me. I like it when things go my way. I like it when it's about me. Don't you, at times?

So I was really convicted, but pumped up, when I read my study today.

Ephesians 1:22 says that God has put all things under Jesus' feet, and God gave Jesus to this world to be the head over all things to the church.

Ephesians 1:12 says that we should be to the praise of God's glory. (We should exist for his glory.)

Not our glory. God's glory.

Colossians 1:18 says that Jesus Christ is the head of the body, the church, that in all things he might have preeminence. (Preeminence meaning that he holds the first place)

*REALITY CHECK!*

As humans, we all want to be happy. But what Paul teaches us here is that the church does not exist to make us happy. We exist to further the Lord's purpose.

I understand there are times you feel frustrated toward your church. They've changed the worship music again. They've repainted the classrooms a color you hate. They sing too much. They don't sing often enough. The music is too loud. You can't hear the music. People are too friendly and you want to be left alone. People aren't friendly enough and you feel ignored. The preacher says something that hits you right in the gut and you don't like that. They're too busy. They're not busy enough. They only read out of a version of the Bible that you don't like. The sermons are too long. The sermons are too short. They never have flavored creamer at their coffee bar.

ENOUGH!

Again. The church does not exist to make you happy.

If you are feeling frustrated about one of the things I've listed previously, I urge you to search yourself and pray about these things. Are they significant enough to make you leave your present church? Are these roadblocks on your spiritual journey? Or are they just... things... that Satan uses to distract us?

If your pastor consistently preaches from his own opinion instead of the word of God, I encourage you to either pray HARD for discernment, or maybe seek out a new church. If things are happening at the church that are obviously against God, please find a new church. If the members, the deacons, the elders, the pastor are leading the church instead of God, you may want to seek out a new church.

Let's stop being so petty. Let's quit making church about me. Make it about God. Keep your focus on God, and all that other stuff should just fade away. 

No comments: