Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Anniversary Trip

Okay, I think it's time to blog about this anniversary trip that Stephen and I took, considering it was the last weekend of August!

We wanted to go somewhere kind of close - we didn't have time for another Vegas trip or anywhere else like that (we would love to venture to Alaska or Colorado some day) so we settled for Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach. It would be our first time in three years going to the beach without children!

As we were headed toward the coast, Stephen pointed out that we were going to drive right past Lake Waccamaw - home of Camp Anchorage. Stephen and our youth group went to this camp last year and our church became fast friends with the leaders and workers of the camp. So when he suggested that we stop in and see everyone, I was so excited!


Unfortunately, everyone had left the camp to head to Wilmington for the weekend - right where we were going! We still walked around all the buildings of the camp and Stephen gave me a tour of everything. It's beautiful out there!


We got to the beach and basically headed right into downtown Wilmington. It was a Friday night so as you can imagine it was quite busy. We put our names on the list of a restaurant and then just walked the streets. There was a live band playing for free by the water so we just sat out there and listened for a while. It was nice not to be on any time constraints!

Then we got buzzed that our table was ready, so we headed back to the restaurant - Front Street Brewery.

The food was amazing.


As we walked back to our car, we passed this chain link fence that had tons and tons of keys hanging from it. Okay Wilmie friends - what's up with this!? It was kind of creepy...


 The next day we spent just a few short hours at the beach. It was beautiful weather and it was so nice being there just the two of us. I saw several other families there, running after their children, comforting them when they got covered in sand or scared by the waves... brought me back to July when we were at the beach with our kids (and a lot of family there to help!) and I definitely prefer it just the two of us at this point in our lives!!

After the beach we were off again, trying every restaurant possible before we had to leave! (Isn't that the point of vacation!?)

We got to this little pizzeria called Slice of Life. Their food was delicious!! Thank goodness for GPS for finding local restaurants. We were lucky to find this place!


 Of course it wasn't long before I was hungry again! But Stephen wasn't, so I was able to satisfy my sweet tooth at The Fuzzy Peach, which is a frozen yogurt joint. So good!!


 And on to the putt putt course! At this point, Stephen has no idea how bad he's going to lose...


I am feeling really confident...


SPIDER!!  This course had a "jungle" theme and I thought this was a decoration! This spider was as big as my hand and it was ALIVE and hanging over our HEADS. Not cool, spider, not cool.


Did a little graffiti action, reminding me of our high school days.


We ran into the mall when it started storming (also we were running out of places to go). We actually did leave with a couple of purchases. Stephen got a new wedding ring and I got a couple of sauces that are sold exclusively at Kitchen Collection. I know, we are so wild and crazy.

I saw this being sold at Kitchen Collection and literally shrieked in delight! I told Stephen this proves he's not the only man who has these issues. Hahaha! (I didn't buy it, but trust me, there are days I wish I had!)


 Okay, dinner time! We wanted some seafood so we headed to Surfs, a place we had passed a couple of times throughout the day. Man, oh man, am I glad we ate here! They had some incredible chili and amaaaazing shrimp, flounder, and onion rings. Not only that but they had some awesome live music going and because they weren't busy, our waitress even hung around our table a bit and chatted with us. It was such a laid-back restaurant. It was delicious and so much fun


Okay, so not even ONE picture of the happy couple! I can't believe it! Actually, I can. I love being in front of AND behind the camera, but Stephen would much rather be behind! I promise we were on this trip together! We loved every second of it. It is so rejuvenating to have even a short time without children.

We were very blessed that Stephen's mom and sister came all the way from Georgia to help out with the kids! So we knew they were in very capable hands and we I didn't worry about them for one second!

I'm already looking forward to our next trip together... whenever it may be!!

Here's to 7 wonderful years together, and looking forward to the next 70, if God will bless us with that many!

No comments: