Monday, June 17, 2013

Psalm 61

Today's scripture is Psalm 61. Go here to read it in your preferred version.



Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.
From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.
I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.
For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name.
Thou wilt prolong the king's life: and his years as many generations.
He shall abide before God for ever: O prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him.
So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows.

Starting in verse 2, I love this promise that we have from God. No matter where we are - in a crowd, alone in a prison cell, in Africa, in the jungle - we have access to God. We can always cry out to Him. Jesus Christ is the rock and is so much higher than us. We could not get to this rock and cling to it without God.

Verse 3 - Past experiences with God providing for us and taking care of us should strengthen our faith. We should be more likely to look to God in times of trouble because He has proven to be there for us.

Verse 4 - With salvation comes the promise of living with God forever one day. But while we are here we will need protection at times, and He will give us that as well.

Verse 5 - God knows all our promises, all our good purposes, and our promise of new obedience or "I'm going to do better..." He knows them and doesn't forget them, so we must remember them too and own up to them.

Verse 6 - I know I want God to prolong my life. I mess up so much, all I want is the opportunity to do better and do more. It is our least requirement to praise God daily and fulfill the vows we've made to Him. Our least reasonable obligation. But as we sing praises we will remember to keep our vows, and as we keep our vows we will sing praises because we will see how worthy God is.

Any comments about this scripture? Something to add? 

No comments: