Monday, July 16, 2007

I'm slipping!

I don't know how many people have noticed this, but almost all of my blog titles are from movies. If you could correctly guess them, I'd give you kudos. The title has to go along with my post, though. For example, today's title is from one of the greatest climbing movies - because there's only about 6 climbing movies ever made - Cliffhanger. My last post about our burglary used a knock-off of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. One time when I was in an especially upbeat mood, I quoted School of Rock. "Be a thinker, not a stinker" was from Rocky. I did a knock-off of Wizard of Oz for "Cakes and Cookies and ice cream, oh my!" For my post about bowling, I used Big Lebowski of course. I guess the list could go on and on but I'm not sure anyone really cares but me. I just think it's funny (and sad?) that for almost every event in my life, I can think of a movie almost immediately that has to do with that event and has a great quote to sum it up.

This weekend was so absolutely tiring but so much fun. Friday night we finally got to go out with Jenn and Matt, who we haven't seen in forever. We went to Beefeater's. If anyone finds out their chicken sauce recipe, please let me know. The chicken kabobs made me drool. We were the old-fart-tired couple, but the four of us really wanted to do something, so we agreed to match wits in our new/old '90's Trivial Pursuit game that I bought specifically to play with Matt and Jenn. By about midnight, Jenn was looking incredibly depressed, and was even toying with the idea of playing couple vs. couple the next time instead of girls vs. boys. We were down by 3 pieces, and no one wanted to finish the game except for me I think. We somehow managed to get 3 pieces practically right in a row, and then it was sudden death. Next piece won. And we did it! We somehow pulled answers out of our butts for those last pieces, and we deserved our victory.

Saturday we woke up early for yard sale-ing. There were some huge jackpots! I got some great books, cookbooks, and baby clothes dirt cheap. We finished just in time to get to the Vertical Gym to go wall climbing with the youth group. It was a blast. Turns out that three of our kids have a fear of heights. One stayed firmly planted on the ground. One didn't tell us he had a fear until the next day. And one would get halfway up the wall, freeze, and then yell frantically, "Get me down! Get me down!" Then he'd be ready to go again 15 minutes later. My arms and back are still sore today because it was harder for me this time than any other time for some reason. I did my first route ever. Routes are hard because you can only use specific holds, and it's hard for me to concentrate on looking at which hold to use while trying not to fall. We got home from that just in time to have Steve from PMB pull up to replace our door. And then he left just in time for Steve, Jesse, Aaron and Tyler to show up to watch UFC with us. We had steaks in an awesome Hickory BBQ sauce for dinner, thanks to Jesse. So by the time UFC was over at 11, I was so ready to crash. I don't remember anything else after them walking out the door. I was so exhausted. Sunday after church we went to mom and dad's for lunch - cube steak, little green peas and mashed potatoes! Oh, with apple crisp for dessert! Ohhhhh it's paradise. Then we went to Betty's for a card tournament. Boys won the first game and girls won the second, so we'll have to have a tie breaker pretty soon. So after church last night, needless to say, we were in bed as early as possible. What a long week last week was! I'm hoping this week will not be so awful. We'll see!

No comments: