Friday, July 13, 2007

Invasion of the XBox snatchers

As you know, (I say to the 6 people that read this blog), we were burgled yesterday. Burgled, not robbed, because breaking and entering was involved, as the below pictures show.







They came in the front door around noon, in broad daylight. They went to the living room and snagged Stephen's XBox 360:



As you can see, he thought it was necessary to rip up our entertainment center. Thanks a lot, guy, we paid 30 bucks for that! Then he went upstairs to where he thought our master bedroom was, and trashed it:


I am actually a little tickled that he went into this room expecting something. He opened all the drawers to find emptiness. He opened the closet to find a big stuffed Scooby-Doo dog (which he left, for some reason). He pulled off the comforter to find that we don't even keep sheets on that bed. That makes me smile a little inside. He then went through the guest bathroom (leaving all my valuable hotel shampoos and tampons) and then into our office. Our office is where he stole Stephen's 6-year-old, 10-pound laptop and some of his guns that we hadn't yet put into the gun safe. I was sort of hoping that he would steal my computer in that office, because it's Windows ME, Internet Explorer doesn't even work on it, and neither does My Computer. As we were waiting for the police to show up and clear the house, I began hoping more and more that he had taken it. I wasn't surprised though, that it was left. It's quite bulky.

I have some other pictures but that's all I have here at work. So, everything that was stolen was Stephen's. I haven't figured out yet if I'm relieved or offended. I mean, I realize most of my jewelry is fake and from Claire's. And my CDs are all burned, not the real copies. But, come on, didn't they see the movie Elf just sitting in the middle of our living room? Or our coupons for Giovanni's? I would really have loved to see the look on this guy's face when he came into our house. I don't know what he was expecting, but it probably wasn't all that JUNK!

The important thing is that we weren't home, Josh and Jenn weren't staying with us, nothing was damaged except the door, and we have serial numbers on all the guns that got gone. The bad thing is that our insurance won't cover about $7000 worth of the stuff that got gone, so unless we recover it, we're out of luck. But I count myself lucky. No one was hurt, nothing personal got gone that's irreplaceable, and we slept soundly last night.

We joked early in the week at Ladies Group about those of us who were baptized Sunday night - we've all had awful weeks since then. I'm convinced the devil's on my back, trying to get me aggravated, so I'm taking pride in being calm with everything that's gone wrong since Monday.

Plus, Stephen said it's kind of our fault - we DO have a welcome mat at our front door. Haha!

No comments: