Saturday, August 22, 2009

WMA

Congratulations to me! I get the Worst Mother Award!

About a week ago, I started having problems with Brianna and nursing. She seemed to be hungry every 2-3 hours, which wasn't the norm for her. The doctor said at her last appointment that she is likely going through a growth spurt and it's normal. The problem is I gave it about a week for my milk to catch up with her, but it doesn't seem to be happening. This means that she wakes up now after 5-6 hours at night to eat. I know I am selfish, but I much preferred the 9-10 hour nights!!

So, being the bad mother I am, two nights last week I chose to supplement Brianna with formula. That's right, I gave her the devil's concoction. I gave her two ounces and then she still ate from both sides before falling asleep! Both nights she slept around 7 hours. But then I told myself that I really need to nurse her as much as possible to get my milk flowing, so I quit doing that. The lactation consultant told me to try an herb - Fenugreek - and I started that today, so we'll see how that goes.

Reason #2 I am up for this award: Brianna loves playing with mirrors. I have started "flying" her toward her reflection in the mirror lately, and she just laughs and laughs. Yesterday my depth perception was way off, which meant she got up close and personal with her reflection. Don't worry, grandparents, she doesn't even have a red mark, and she's only slightly sluggish today. KIDDING!!

I would write more but I am actually kind of in a hurry, so this post is going to be shorter than anticipated. Brianna has rolled over once a day every day for about a week now, and today she has done it a total of six times. She has tried more than that, only to be halted by her play thing which she runs into. She refuses to go from her stomach to her back, so she rolls over on her stomach only to whine until I put her back on her back. Then she almost immediately rolls over again. What's the deal?? Only one time today has she rolled from her stomach to her back.

She has learned the art of spitting, so do not be alarmed if she spits at you or sticks out her tongue at you.

Gail came over yesterday and Brianna was good practically the whole time! We had a lot of fun - Bri tends to perform for people occassionally. She really performed today while we were at work.

Okay, that is all I can think of in this hurried post. I just wanted to write some of this down before I forgot.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

She was a joy. I love having one on one time with Bri. She is so expressive and her smiles will melt your heart. Not to leave out Amanda, I also love visiting with Amanda.

Jennifer Kirby said...

Thank God for the ability to supplement! A well-rested you is better for your whole family. I know you already drink a ton of water so this probably won't help you, but sometimes when my milk supply seems to be lagging I start drinking water like it's my job, and it usually seems to help. Just a thought. I've heard about that herb helping too.

Regarding your second reason for WMA, remind me at lunch to tell you about Claire's encounter with the car seat handle yesterday. :) Love you!