Thursday, April 11, 2013

Get Back Up Review

I just finished reading a new book written by Sheryl Giesbrecht, called "Get Back Up". I chose to review the book, but I did not actually think I would be able to apply it to my personal life. I knew the book would be about tragedy and applying scripture to "getting back up" from those tragedies.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the book. Giesbrecht starts off each chapter with a true story of someone surviving against the odds - parachutes not opening, airplane crashes - and then she relates that to how we can survive the storms in our lives. As she studied the scripture and talked about facing tragedy, though, she told her personal story. Starting with her rebellious teenage years, to what seemed to me like years of church ministry disappointments, serious illnesses, and losing loved ones, she is completely open and honest about her family's shortcomings, her emotions, and how they turned to God throughout everything. They had so many struggles, and there were so many that I could personally relate to, so I felt like her book made me understand the struggles that others in my life have been going through.

She talks about what happens in our lives, how to know the truth (she gives great scripture here), forgiveness, depression, fear, loneliness, and she pulls it all together using biblical truths.

This book is such an easy read, I literally read it in just a few hours. Having my Bible open while I read it was perfect because I could go straight to the scripture she was talking about and feel that confidence of those truths while making notes in my Bible.

I highly recommend this book. In fact, I doubt I'll be keeping it for very long because I expect to pass it along as soon as possible!

This book was provided to me at no charge for my honest review from Litfuse Publicity Group. 

Purchase the book from Amazon here.

No comments: