Tuesday, August 14, 2007

And to think that in some countries these dogs are eaten.

Is it just me or is Cassie getting harder and harder to walk in the mornings? Last week I was awful about walking her. I've just been so exhausted lately. And it's way too hot to walk her in the evenings - no dog should be walking a mile or two in 105+ temperatures. Now that it's cooled down to the 90's we can get back in a routine perhaps. Anyway, that's why I prefer walking her at 6:15, 6:30 in the morning, when it's about 75 out, breezy, sun's just rising, and no one else is around. It was very calming. It was very relaxing. It was a great way to start my days off. But yesterday and today, it's been like she was possessed by some demon of play. She's way too big to jump on people, but she loves to jump on me. This morning she knocked me over and then kept trying to pat my head and lick it at the same time. I ended up having to give her a spanking. Guilt flashed in her eyes only a brief second before her tongue was hanging out and she was panting, "arentwegoingwalkingletsgowalkingcomeongetyouracttogethermomiamsoreadytogothatiamgonnajumpagainyepi'mgettinreadyi'mgonnajumpi'mgonnajumparentwegoingwalkinghuh Huh HUH??!?!?!?"

Whew. I walked her around the yard and the course a bit, trying to stream out her energy, before I walked her past the neighbors' houses, just in case she tried to trample me again (so I wouldn't be embarrassed that I can't handle my 10-month-old) and then we started walking. She was better after that and maybe even a bit worn out. She's also started whining in the mornings, after I go back inside. I don't know what to do about her.

People say that babysitting is the best form of birth control. What about dogs? I can't even handle this 50-pound puppy!

*Note: Cassie is one of the better dogs we've had. I get frustrated with her but I love her to death and she's really not THAT bad.*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your anniversary voice-mail. I believe you get twice as much exercise as Cassie on those walks! As James Dobson says, "Dare to Discipline." You're a great Mom.
Love, Dad
P.S. Let me know if I should stop commenting.