Tuesday, September 23, 2008

He's growing up so fast

Well, it's taken almost 9 years, but finally I have rubbed off on Stephen a little bit! Most people who know me know that ignorance is a pretty big annoyance to me. I think it all started when I went to App and realized how ignorant I was. Or naive. When I was in 9th grade, I debated the phrase "Ignorance is bliss" with my ELPSA teacher, Mr. Purvis. I debated it on the "pro" side. He thought my debate was funny, so he gave me an A. But as I've grown up, I realize that ignorance is only bliss for the ignorant. Not for the people they are talking to.

I cringe every time I hear someone say there are no homeless people in Moore County. I cringe again when the next sentence is, "If you're homeless, it's your own fault!" I'm here to tell you, that's not always the case. I could tell these people stories about friends I know, people I am close to, who have been homeless, and the circumstances that got them there. But they probably wouldn't listen.

I cringe when people laugh at me or Jenn or others for giving extra food away to people on the side of the street. Why are you laughing? I can go without the food. It probably only cost me a couple of bucks, as cheap as I am, and I'm not giving them money which could possibly fuel their booze or drug habit, so what's the big deal?

But I digress.

I think this is why I love the TV show "30 Days" so much. Two people from opposing viewpoints are forced to live with each other and learn about each other in order to overcome their ignorance. Not necessarily reform their views, but become more knowledgeable about them. One episode was an anti-gun activist who went to live with an avid hunter for 30 days. One was the director of the show living in a minimum wage situation for 30 days. Another was a professional football player who was confined to a wheelchair for 30 days. It's very eye-opening.

I digress yet again.

Stephen embraces my activism and compassion, but has never felt the need to be active in any cause or anything. Which is fine for me - it's not for everyone - and there's nothing he feels really strongly about except for his faith. So I was really proud of him when he told me that he had said something to someone last weekend.

Background story - we have a food bank in Pinebluff, just like there is in Southern Pines, Carthage, Aberdeen... get the picture? Anyway, this food bank is right on our way to work. And when I go to work on Saturdays at 6:00am, the line of cars at this food bank is already down one street and wrapped around the next. Stephen only works one Saturday a month, so I always try to remind him to look at the cars, and he always forgets.

Well, last weekend, he didn't forget. He saw it. And then he went out to breakfast with his dad and his girlfriend? girl friend? I'm not sure. Anyway, he went out to breakfast with them before work. And she just happened to order this big stack of pancakes and then proceeded to eat one and said she was full. And Stephen, bless his little heart, told her about the long line of people he had seen that morning at the food bank, and pointed out that if she wasn't hungry she shouldn't have ordered it.

I was so proud of him! He is an activist! He'd probably kill me for saying that.

2 comments:

Ken Loyd said...

Great post, Amanda. I'm going to e-mail you something about restaurant servers--the working poor. We've got a lot to share about our trip.

Katie said...

tag, you're it! I tagged you on my blog!