Thursday, October 2, 2008

In the news today

In semi-baby-related news, work must be rough for Stephen right now. Tuesday night on the way home from church, he assured me that if I decide I do want to work after having the baby, he will be more than happy to quit his job. He called it "taking one for the team". He tried to make it sound like I was getting the better part of the deal. I'm not going to let him sweet talk me though! I asked him if he really thought that spending all day with a crying baby is going to be less stressful than working. He answered in the affirmative.

In recipe-related news, I actually cooked Monday night! I am starting to get some energy back and I really wanted to cook something. And I was craving lasagna. Now, Stephen likes lasagna, but he's not crazy about it. He doesn't like ricotta cheese, which is why he now orders stromboli instead of calzones at Italian restaurants. So a few months ago, Lora brought this lasagna recipe to church, and when he ate it he went gaga over it. So I decided to surprise him by making it. I am posting the recipe here because it was SO EASY to make and great for people who don't like ricotta cheese.

Lora's Lasagna (this is for two hungry people)

1 lb.Hamburger (I would actually suggest 1.5 lbs)
1 box Lasagna Noodles (I used 9 noodles because I like the layers to be even)
1 Jar Prego tomato,onion,garlic Chunky Sauce
2 Cups Sargento Mozzarella Shredded Cheese
1 Cup Sargento Shredded Provolone Cheese
6-8 Deli Style Sliced Mozzarella Cheese

In Large Skillet Cook Crumbled Burger. Drain and add Sauce to it. Set Aside. Boil Noodles until done. Spread Thin Layer of Sauce & Burger Mixture in bottom of 9X13 Baking Dish. Layer Noodles, Mix Shredded Cheese. Layer it. Repeat. Repeat. Lay the Sliced Cheese in a Row on Top. Cover VERY loosely with foil. Bake at 355 for 35-40 minutes. *Remove Foil the last 10 Minutes*

Ours was gone in two days. I'm going to have to do two pans the next time!!!

In eating-related news, I found out this morning that I am completely inept at eating oranges. Is there like, a WikiHow article about peeling oranges or anything?? Oh my gosh, there IS!!! Well, it's too late now. I have never been an orange eater. I'm not prejudiced or anything, I guess I just thought they're so much work for a not so amazing flavor. But then mom pointed out how high they are in fiber, which will come in handy at some point. Also, that Vitamin C never hurt anyone. So I decided to jump in with both feet first. I found out immediately that I wish I was left-handed. See, I use my right hand so much that all my nails are really short on that hand. So it was really hard for me to use those to peel the orange with. Next time I'll probably use the bite and tear method (don't peel the orange, just peel the fruit away from the skin with your teeth). Well, I ended up eating over the trash can because of the juice, and my slices were certainly not coming off in slices, they were coming off in chunks. I am so glad no one walked by during this operation. Needless to say, I felt like a lot of work was put into that orange. But it tasted better than I remembered, so I'll probably head back to the grocery store and get some more later.

In surprise-related news, Stephen has been telling me allllll week that I have a surprise coming. I had a couple of guesses, but really vague ones, like maybe some pregnancy-related thing, or maybe Wii Fit. But no, my surprise came yesterday, and guess what my yummy hubs got me!?!? Guitar Hero: Legends of Rock!! Now I finally have a guitar of my own, and now we can battle or co-op. I prefer battle, Stephen prefers co-op (because I always kick his butt!!) I played about three songs before church and then he had to drag me away. Then after church I made him cook dinner so I could play again. I tell ya, it's addictive! Especially since I know I'm not going to beat GH2 on expert - I only have 3 songs left and I just can't beat them. So I'm ready for a new challenge.

I think that covers everything!!

2 comments:

Now an Air Force Wife and Mommy!! said...

Guitar Hero is way addictive!! I never thought I would like that game and my hubby's aunt and uncle got me to play and I was totally hooked!!! I'm can barely play medium at this point but I'll prob get way into again once I'm home.

As for the orange don't they have a peeler thing for them? I think its a tupperware thing or I guess you could always start it with a knife. My friend couldn't go near oranges or oj while she was prego it made her super sick.

Oh I'm def going to try out that lasanga (is that spelled right LOL) because it sounds super easy and super yummy!!

Hope all is going well for the three of you!! I can't wait to hear what sex your little one is!!! Let me know where you're registered so I can go online and order stuff!!

Unknown said...

Never fear an orange peeler is on the way. I order you one so your right hand will get some rest. By the way, I'm left-handed and it is no easier for me. Love Gail