Sunday, September 11, 2011

#99 - Participate in Operation Beautiful

I have wanted to participate in Operation Beautiful for a long time. The mission of Operation Beautiful is to end negative self-talk. I feel really strongly about this, particularly because I hear so many females that say negative things about themselves and to me, the things they say are just ludicrous. In college I was very strongly involved in our women's group on campus, and we did stuff to reach out to other females all the time. Our society and our world seems to have turned beauty into such a small box, such an unattainable thing, and I can't stand that people or media can make ME feel bad about myself, or make my sisters feel bad about themselves, or make my gorgeous girls in youth group feel bad about themselves. It just makes me sick that sometimes I choose how I feel about myself based on how other people look.

Yesterday at church two friends and I hosted a girls get-together for 6th-12th grade girls. We wanted to talk about stuff that was important to them, but revolve it around self-image, self-respect, etc. So obviously this was the perfect opportunity to do Operation Beautiful!!

"God made you special and he loves you very much!" (from Veggietales)


No putting yourself down!


"Your worth is bigger than your weight"


"You are beautiful... just the way you are!"


"You are beautiful. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise."


"Wishing you were someone else is wasting the person you are"



www.operationbeautiful.com


Me and Cindy loved looking at them so much we decided to leave them up for church tomorrow. And also decided we need to do more positive talk like this around church!

2 comments:

Jennifer Kirby said...

Coincidence! I just wrote an article on the girl who started this and I have been meaning to talk to you about it/blog about it for a month!

http://jenndare.wordpress.com/2011/08/13/operation-beautiful/

It's such a cool idea. I'm glad you left the notes up at church! Love you!

Amanda said...

I loved the article! That is so cool.