If you grew up in the '90's, you watched Pop-Up Videos. Period. No questions asked. This is a list of things I've learned from all those times of mindless entertainment.
1. It takes police a minimum of 2 minutes to trace a stolen motorcycle.
2. 15% of people meet their future mates while at work.
3. The Vikings terrorized Norway until 1000 A.D.
4. Tetanus shots are recommended every 10 years.
5. There were 240 pedestrian fatalities in NYC in 1994.
6. It's against NYFD regulations for firefighters to wear blue jeans.
7. The NYC sanitation department picks up 13,000 tons of trash a day.
8. The average women's boxing match lasts 3 rounds.
9. 1% of defendants act as their own lawyer at trial.
10. Most lawyers have attended 4 years of college and 3 years of law school.
11. 40% of weddings take place at a courthouse.
12. 65% of New Yorkers are single.
13. A messy room can be a warning sign of deep depression.
14. In 1992, a psychologist argued that happiness is a psychiatric disorder, and claimed that happy people "have a defect that prevents a true understanding" of life.
15. 55% of motorcycle accidents happen on weekends.
16. Excessive hairbrushing can cause premature baldness.
17. 9% of people report having been in the presence of a ghost.
18. Boys cry as much as girls until the age of 12 - by age 18 girls cry 4 times as much.
19. Chameleon lizards can turn red, gold and green.
20. Gambling was illegal in 1870 in Mississippi.
21. Odds of getting a straight flush are 649,739 to 1.
22. Corn Flakes was Kellogg's first product in 1906.
23. The first answering machine weighed 10 pounds and required earphones.
24. Pong first appeared in arcades in 1972.
25. Excessive exposure to sunlight can lighten hair.
26. Cryogenics labs will freeze a body for $50,000. Just a head costs $30,000.
27. The first cellular phone network was installed in 1979.
28. Seasickness is caused by rhythmic movements of the head.
29. Seasickness can be prevented by eating ginger.
30. Rio de Janeiro is one of the 7 Wonders of the Natural World.
31. 31% of all Americans who travel overseas travel alone.
32. The flush toilet dates back to 2000 B.C.
33. Toilet paper wasn't invented until 1857.
34. The first stall is the least often occupied by bathroom users.
35. 54% of Americans prefer to "fold" their toilet paper rather than "wad" it.
36. The largest item ever found in an LA sewer is a motorcycle.
37. American buffalo have never been on the endangered species list.
38. It's legal for men to ride motorcycles topless in Indiana.
39. 7am is the most popular time for a wakeup call.
40. 48% of Americans snoop in medicine cabinets.
41. Lassie was a "laddie" but was used for his thicker coat.
42. "Brandy" is the most common name for a female dog. (In the '90's, anyway.)
43. Visitors with knee and wrist injuries are advised not to climb the Statue of Liberty.
44. Russian law prohibits objects fabricated before 1945 from leaving the country.
45. Rain in Los Angeles has high concentrations of sulfuric and nitric acids.
46. Scientists have found that male gnats will swarm a tuning fork vibrating at a pitch of high C.
47. High C is the note that a female gnat plays when she rubs her wings together.
48. San Diego Sea World's Shamu weighs over 8000 pounds.
49. Sumo wrestling started about 23 B.C. in Japan.
50. The first Mr. America contest was held in 1939.
51. The "Ken" doll was introduced in 1961.
52. On average, female models are paid 50% more than male models.
53. Women were banned from the Japanese stage from 1629 to 1899.
54. Repeatedly shaking one's head can be a sign that a person is severly autistic.
55. Tonsurphobia is the fear of haircuts.
56. The number of twins has increased more than 30% in the past 30 years.
57. Average miles a person walks in their lifetime: 275,000
58. Average miles a person flies in their lifetime: 175,000
59. 1 in 5 Americans is functionally illiterate.
60. 60% of holiday gifts are baked.
61. Women receive on average 3 more gifts than men at Christmas.
62. And return two of them.
63. An ant can carry 10 times its weight.
64. Copernicus was the first to say that the whole world revolves around a star.
65. The average American has 8 friends.
66. 2.5 million Americans say they have no friends.
67. 1 in 3 friends think their friends can be too demanding.
68. Steven Seagal is a Buddhist who claims to be a reincarnated llama.
69. An open hydrant wastes 1000 gallons of water per minute.
70. "Ungrammatical" is a word.
71. Twisters kill 73 people in the US each year.
72. The Jaguar XJ220 is the fastest car in mass production - its top speed is 217 mph.
73. Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for persons age 5-27.
74. 2 out of 5 Americans will be involved in an alcohol-related car crash during their lives.
75. An average of 115 people die in a motor vehicle accident every day.
76. A Blow Pop is 2/3 pop and 1/3 blow.
77. It takes 11 hours to drive from Cleveland to Boston.
78. The fastest car could get you from Cleveland to Boston in one hour.
79. Scalped front row tickets to a U2 concert can cost over $1000.
80. Michelle Pfieffer was Miss Orange County in 1977.
I could probably get 100 things but that's just silly. I love this show and I wish they would bring it back!!