Friday, December 19, 2008

New Favorite Holiday Recipe

My favorite holiday recipe for 2008 is Wassail! I made it for two Christmas parties and it was a big hit, so I'm just going to post the recipe here.



Ingredients:
8 lady apples or Gala apples (I have used 8, but three is PLENTY for decoration)
8 cups water
2 (12-oz) cans frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed and undiluted
1 (12-oz) can frozen OJ concentrate, thawed and undiluted
1 (11.5 oz) can apricot nectar (I used a small can of apricot halves and dumped it all in)
1 (6-oz) can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed and undiluted (I used 12 ounces)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
15 whole cloves
6 sticks cinnamon (or however many you feel led to throw in)
3 cups sweet white wine (I used white grape juice)

Peel the top third of each apple. Place the apples in a shallow baking dish; pour water to a depth of 1/2" into dish around apples. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 50 minutes (or less for less apples) or until apples are slightly tender. Remove apples from dish, set aside.

Combine 8 cups of water and next 7 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered 30 minutes or so. Remove and discard cloves. Stir in wine/grape juice.

Serve in a Dutch oven, heatproof punch bowl, or slow cooker. Float baked apples in Wassail.

Accept compliments politely and drink up!!

No comments: