Monday, December 15, 2008

To the consumer

Dear lady in front of me at Food Lion:

I just wanted to write and tell you how much I appreciated our conversation last Saturday. I have to admit I was a little bit confused when you didn't leave right after your transaction was done, and instead watched all of my items being scanned. Then, I wondered why you were so concerned with asking the cashier if I had bought the eggs that were on sale...

"They were only $0.89!!!" you stage-whispered to me frantically.

I shook my head. No, I'm an idiot. I didn't see the eggs that were on sale. Instead, I bought the ones that were $1.39. Noooooooooooooooo!

When I assured you that it was okay, I really wasn't excited that you told the cashier that I "must have plenty of money". I was a little peeved that you had let it slip that I am astoundingly rich, and I hope no one else in the store overheard, or they might have been upset that every other item in my cart was store brand. I especially appreciated it when you told me that "one day I would learn to count my pennies".

Now that I know how rich I am, I can quit doing Rite Aid rebates and shopping with triple coupons. I can't tell you how valuable this information is to me, and my husband will be quite happy to realize we can both retire at a young age and stay home with our children.

Sincerely,
The Girl Who Somehow Nodded Graciously and Walked Out of the Store Without Saying a Word

3 comments:

Jennifer Kirby said...

What is WRONG with people?!!

Amanda said...

Tell me about it!

Now an Air Force Wife and Mommy!! said...

That was kinda weird....and actually quite rude not knowing you at all! but still weird.