Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Psalm 63

Today's scripture - Psalm 63.
2012-12-19 17.12.17 by altalbert


Things God will do: (action)
  • Uphold me in his right hand (v. 8)
Commands to me:
  • Seek God (v. 1)
  • Praise God (v. 3, 5)
  • Bless his name and lift my hands up to him (v. 4)
  • Remember God and meditate on him (v. 6)
  • Rejoice (v. 7, 11)
  • Follow God (v. 8)
Characteristics of God:
Powerful, full of glory, loving, helpful, our shadow/protector

Things to take away from this:
I've got to seek God continually. I can't worry so much about the minutes I spend studying or the time of day I'm studying at, but the fact that I set aside time every day. And that I long for that time. That I really thirst for a deeper relationship with God. Because nothing in this life is comparable to his love for me. I've got to bless his name while I live. Time is so short. Verse 5 says "My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness". I love that. For some reason this vision comes to mind - I'm pretty sure my grandfather is one of those people who sucks the marrow out of chicken bones. Maybe I just dreamed that... but this verse makes me smile because I just think of someone with this look of complete and utter contentment in their soul, and it's all because of Jesus. After we have that satisfaction it's just natural to praise him with joyful lips! This scripture also talks yet again about God's right hand supporting me and me being under the shadow of his gigantic wings.

I feel it's a little dramatic to talk about "enemies" or "those that seek my soul to destroy it" as these words are used in some psalms. I can't think of any human that really fits that description. But this could be anything damaging to my relationship with God. Although in these verses I do believe it's apparent that nonbelievers and those who speak against God will be stopped in the end, and ultimately end up in hell.

I would love to know if you have any thoughts to add to this beautiful scripture! Something I missed? Something I misinterpreted? Something I should take note of? 

No comments: