Monday, July 22, 2013

Psalm 120

This morning's reading is from Psalm 120. Go here to read it in your preferred version.

In my distress I cried unto the Lord, and he heard me.
Deliver my soul, O Lord, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue.
What shall be given unto thee? or what shall be done unto thee, thou false tongue?
Sharp arrows of the mighty, with coals of juniper.
Woe is me, that I sojourn in Mesech, that I dwell in the tents of Kedar!
My soul hath long dwelt with him that hateth peace.
I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war.


Verse 1 - When we are overwhelmed and distressed we just need to call on God. He will hear us. 

Jonah 2:2 - "I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice."

Even when we feel like we're in the depths of hell, God will hear us and answer us.

Verse 2 - When we are persecuted by people who are spreading lies and rumors, God will deliver us out of that situation. The truth always comes out. But our soul has to stay strong through that trial!

Verses 3-4 - These verses speak of the defense God will exact for us. It speaks of God's arrows. Arrows fly quickly and hit right on target. They can pierce through the strongest armor of the enemy. His wrath is compared to burning coals of juniper. These don't flame, but are extremely hot and keep fire going for a very long time. People who lie about others will receive this kind of punishment.

Psalm 37:6 - "And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday."

God will always bring to light the truth for His children. He will protect us from people who lie about us.

Psalm 64:7 - "But God shall shoot at them with an arrow; suddenly shall they be wounded."

Job 6:4 - "For the arrows of the Almighty are within me, the poison whereof drinketh up my spirit: the terrors of God do set themselves in array against me."  

Verse 5 - This is probably figurative speaking. If David wrote this psalm (I'm not sure, because it doesn't say in the Bible), it was probably written during one of the times he was running for his life. If you've ever been in a situation where it seemed like everyone was against you or talking about you, you feel far from home, or like you are surrounded by strangers rather than people who are supposed to love you.

Verse 6 - Even through the trials we have with other people, we should try to overcome evil with good. Remember, Jesus did nothing but good and he was overcome by evil people. We, who fail so often throughout the day, deserve better than that? No, definitely not. We probably shouldn't even think it's strange or odd when people attack us. We should probably expect that as Christians. But how do we reply to them? Repay evil with good.

Comments? Thoughts? 

No comments: