Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Psalm 84

Today's scripture is Psalm 84. Go here to read it in your preferred version.

How amiable are thy tabernacles, O Lord of hosts!
My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the Lord: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God.
Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O Lord of hosts, my King, and my God.
Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah.
Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them.
Who passing through the valley of Baca make it a well; the rain also filleth the pools.
They go from strength to strength, every one of them in Zion appeareth before God.
O Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer: give ear, O God of Jacob. Selah.
Behold, O God our shield, and look upon the face of thine anointed.
10 For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.
11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
12 O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.


Verse 1 - God's tabernacles are so beautiful to look at. We should be in awe of God's creation and God's majesty - His presence. 

Verse 2 - My soul should just absolutely long for God. My soul should just cry for Him and long to be with Him. These words are so extremely powerful - "my heart and flesh cry out for the living God". My physical body and my spiritual part cannot help but to cry out to God. Might I add, the only God who is still living. No other god is still alive right now.

Verse 3-4 - In verse three you can tell the author wants to be at home with worship. Even birds find a home - a place to raise their young offspring. Blessed are the ones who remain in God's house. Of course most people are not literally going to live in a church (house of worship), but you can certainly feel at home in a house of worship and raise your children there.

Verse 5 - My strength is in God alone. And it is an absolute necessity for His ways to fill my heart. We probably all have qualities or characteristics which we are ashamed of. Personally, I know that I could have a tendency to lean toward being lazy and also toward impatience which leads to anger. Imagine if I let those ways fill my heart and guide me through life. What an awful life I would lead! I must keep a check on those personal qualities and let God's ways shine through and guide me.

Verse 6 - I actually loved this verse so much I did a commentary on it when I first read this scripture back in May. I would urge you to read it because I think this is really beautiful scripture once it's understood.

Verse 7 - Be resolved to make it to Zion. Resolve to get through the valley. Bear inconveniences. Mend things that are broken. Our way to heaven is a journey through a valley. How we will travel on this journey? Our strength renews because we turn to God.

Verses 8-9 - God, hear my plea to you. God is my shield and I know He will hear me when I call out to Him.

Verse 10 - I LOVE this verse. One day in God's presence is better than 1000 days here on earth (almost three years). The author states here that he would rather be a door prop - standing at the door of heaven guarding it - as long as he is in the house of God, rather than live in tents with wicked people. Notice he says the wickedness is around tents. Tents are a symbol of nomads or transients. If you are living in a tent with wicked people, it may seem fine for a time. After all, it's shelter from earthly elements like rain or heat. But it's so temporary. God's house is the only permanent house we will ever dwell in.

Verse 11 - My God is my sun. My shield. My grace. My glory. My provider of good things.

Verse 12 - I am so blessed. I do trust in God and I thank Him for all my blessings. How quickly we forget how blessed we are. We take so many things for granted. We should be thanking God constantly throughout the day for what He is constantly doing in our lives.

Comments? Questions? I'd love to hear feedback!

No comments: