Friday, July 26, 2013

Psalm 3

Today's scripture is Psalm 3. Go here to read it in your preferred version.

Lord, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.
Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.
But thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
I cried unto the Lord with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.
I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the Lord sustained me.
I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.
Arise, O Lord; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.
Salvation belongeth unto the Lord: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.


Background: It is thought that David writes this as he is running from Absalom, his son. The story can be found in 2 Samuel 15 and is really a gripping story. Absalom wants the throne and David's life, so David is running as fast as he can for his life. We may not have a family member trying to murder us, but we have plenty of other trials in our life. Think of David, not just as an enemy of Absalom, but as his father. I can't imagine how I would feel as a parent in this situation. So as David was scared, sad, and honestly in great danger, he turned to God. So many times we have a pity party and our troubles are really caused by our choices. How about instead of "Woe is me!" we turn to God in this manner?

Verses 1-2 - Sometimes there is just one person causing some sort of distress against us. And then in the blink of an eye, they are "increased". They have turned others against us. David was probably shaking his head - his kingdom who had loved him had now risen up in a conspiracy against him. People were even talking about David's soul... his relationship with God. That's probably the worst thing people could do. It would probably affect a lot of people by causing doubt or confusion. But you can see David still knows the truth.

Verse 3 - God is still our shield - our defense, our glory (actually He is the only thing we can glory in), and He's the one who lifts us up when we can't even pick up our own heads.

The word used in verse 3 for "Lord" is Jehovah "the existing One". David knew no matter what that God was there for him.

Verse 4 - If we will cry out to God, he will hear us. But we need to figure out that WE NEED HIM!

Verse 5 - No matter what is going on in my life I have to remember that God will sustain me. I can just lean on Him so that I don't topple over! We probably all need that at times.

Verse 6 - David had courage, even in the midst of this. I don't believe we can have that kind of courage without God.

Verse 7 - When we cry to God He will help us. I don't believe He goes around smacking people in the face and breaking their teeth literally... I do believe He can silence people; shut their mouths. God can stop those who are talking against us and who are coming after us maliciously.

Verse 8 - After all, in the end, we can have confidence that our salvation is in God and that He will bless those who trust in Him. We can have that assurance!

Comments? Questions?

No comments: