Monday, July 15, 2013

Psalm 16

As you can see, I am well behind on my blogging. I have so many scriptures I would love to relay to you, but I'm trying to only blog one a day, and then when I get behind it drives me crazy. Today I'm going to do Psalm 16 because I found so much good stuff in this chapter, I couldn't wait to share it. Go here to read it in your preferred version.

Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.

O my soul, thou hast said unto the Lord, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee;
But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight.
Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god: their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names into my lips.
The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot.
The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage.
I will bless the Lord, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.
I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.
10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.




Verse 1 - Watch over me, God. I'm putting my trust in you - the trust that I have your protection surrounding me.

Verse 2 - You are my Lord. My soul is nothing without you. Separate from You, this body is an empty, meaningless shell. No purpose.

Verse 3 - God's people are pleasing to Him. He delights in us. God, who is the Creator and the ruler of all heaven and earth, delights in me?? This is amazing to me.

God as the Creator - "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." Genesis 1:1

God as the ruler and creator of the heavens - "When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:" Proverbs 8:27

God as the ruler and creator of the Earth - Job 38 - "laid the foundations of the earth" (v. 4), shut up the sea (v. 8), made the clouds (v. 9), told the ocean where to stop (v. 11), commanded the morning (v. 12), causes the rain (v. 26) - just to name a few!!


Verse 4 - Those who continue to choose other gods over the true God will have misery throughout their lives. They will never be truly happy. The Bible says their name will not even be on God's lips. This is a scary thought.

Matthew 7:23 - And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Verse 5 - The Lord is my portion. When He is in my soul I will be filled. Among other things, I can be filled with the fruits of righteousness, filled with the Holy Spirit, and filled with goodness and knowledge. God will uphold me when I need that support.

"Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God." Philippians 1:11 

"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit." Ephesians 5:18 

"And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another." Romans 15:14 

Verse 7 - I will bless God when I praise Him for all He's done for me. Especially when I have cried out to Him and He has answered and counseled me, I have to bless Him and His name to others.

Verse 8 - I have got to set the Lord before me. If He is not leading me, then I am. That's never good. I don't have to be afraid to stand up for what I believe because God is at my right hand. He will never leave me or forsake me.
   
"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." Hebrews 13:5 

"There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." Joshua 1:5 

Verse 9 - My heart is glad and I am joyful. I can rest in the hope I have in my God. My body can physically rest because I have placed all my burdens on Him.

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

"Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." 1 Peter 5:7 

Verse 10 - God is the God of my salvation. He does not want my soul to go to hell. Individually He loves us each enough that He does not want one soul in hell. God will send a way for us to be saved from hell, David says. This "way", ONE WAY, is Jesus Christ who David calls the "Holy One" in this verse. David claims that the Holy One who will save us will not see any corruption in himself.

"The law of truth was in his mouth, and iniquity was not found in his lips: he walked with me in peace and equity, and did turn many away from iniquity." Malachi 2:6 

Jesus Christ is the one who can bring us out of the pit of hell. It is impossible to be saved apart from Jesus Christ.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

Verse 11 - God will show me what path to go on in life - if I will pay attention!! Being in God's presence will make us joyful. He will give us pleasures forever. He wants to give us these pleasures. 

I hope you enjoyed my thoughts on this Psalm. I would love to hear your comments, thoughts, and feedback! 

No comments: