Saturday, March 5, 2011

#56 - Run a 5K


Well, you know I started running about a week ago, so I think we all knew I was in pretty top-notch shape.
Yes, sarcasm!
So, on 2/27 I ran for the first time in years and I did okay. But I really didn't feel great after running, so I was kind of disappointed, and thinking, "What have I gotten myself into???"
I ran again on Monday, 2/28, this time with both kids in the double stroller. Huff, puff!! I made it through 2 miles but I ended up walking a lot. I did the first mile in 11:48 and the second in 11:44.
I ran again on Wednesday, 3/2, this time by myself, but I only had time for one mile before we had to leave for church. I ran it in 9:01, so I was a little disappointed I didn't do it faster than that.
On Thursday I knew this was my last chance to make it through 3 miles. I mean, I hadn't run three consecutive miles since six years ago when we lived in Charleston. I knew if I couldn't do it by Thursday, I probably wouldn't be able to do it on Saturday when it counted. But, I successfully made it through 2.9 miles in 26:52. I did have to walk some still at that point, but when I was done I felt great. I felt the adrenaline you are supposed to feel. I wasn't in pain like four days prior. And I was pumped!
So when today arrived, my goal was simple. I wanted to run the 5K in 33 minutes. I had never run this course before, had heard from Jenn that it had some hills, and basically just didn't know what to expect. My only other goal was that I wanted to run the entire race and not walk at all.
I did it! My race time was 30:38 which comes out to an average 9:53 mile, which doesn't sound that great to me but I'm still happy with it. Out of all the men and women running the race I placed 144th out of 398 people. Out of just women I placed 52nd out of 237. I finished 8th place in my age group (not sure out of how many - the website just went down as I was checking it but I think it was 30-something people).
I am just happy I finished it and I didn't walk at all. And afterwards I felt great! Jenn ran it as well and she did amazing! She finished second in her age group and I would have to cut eight minutes off my time to finish it with her!! That is CRAZY!! She was really Sham Rockin' 'n' Rollin'! She was a major encourager, even running the last .1 mile with me because she is awesome like that. It was so much fun.
Next 5K - April 9?? We'll see....
Thank you SO MUCH to my Mom for watching both babies while I ran! I was supposed to run with Hunter but he wasn't awake yet when I left and proceeded to sleep until just minutes before the race started, I found out later!! I would have been fine running with him but Mom was so kind to keep both of the kids so I could run.

No comments: