Saturday, August 17, 2013

Psalm 146

Today's scripture is Psalm 146. Go here to read it in your preferred version.

Praise ye the Lord. Praise the Lord, O my soul.
While I live will I praise the Lord: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.
Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.
His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.
Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God:
Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is: which keepeth truth for ever:
Which executeth judgment for the oppressed: which giveth food to the hungry. The Lord looseth the prisoners:
The Lord openeth the eyes of the blind: the Lord raiseth them that are bowed down: the Lord loveth the righteous:
The Lord preserveth the strangers; he relieveth the fatherless and widow: but the way of the wicked he turneth upside down.
10 The Lord shall reign for ever, even thy God, O Zion, unto all generations. Praise ye the Lord.

  
I must praise God - This is stated four times in the first two verses.

As long as I live I will praise Him. While I have a body I will praise God. I believe some people say this but it's just lip service. When things start to be hard in life they drift away from God and start to question His goodness. 

I have to remember not to put my trust in any human. Not a family member, a spouse, or a pastor. Not to say that I don't trust people, but I don't put them on a pedestal. If I give people too much credit and then they mess up, it will really disappoint me. It ought not to be that way. God is where my trust should lie, and God will never fail me!

Verse 4 makes another good point. Say I put all my trust in someone and then they die. In that moment, "his thoughts perish". God will never die and will never go away. He is the complete opposite of us humans. 

Happy is the person who asks for help from the God of Jacob. Who places his hope in God. The God who is the Creator, the keeper of truth, the righteous judge, the feeder of the hungry, the one who takes care of our needs, the one who breaks our bonds and chains, the one who opens the eyes of the blind, the one who lifts us up when we are bowed down. What an amazing God. He loves the righteous. He takes care of us whether we are homeless, fatherless, widowed, or any other affliction. But if we are an enemy of God, He can turn our world upside down.

God will reign forever. Regardless of our belief in Him. Praise Him. He will reign over every generation here on earth.

When I read this scripture it made me think of the song 10,000 Reasons. One of our favorites to sing at church, so I wanted to share it with you!

 



Questions? Comments?

No comments: