Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Psalm 54

Today's scripture is Psalm 54. Go here to read it in your preferred version.

Save me, O God, by thy name, and judge me by thy strength.
Hear my prayer, O God; give ear to the words of my mouth.
For strangers are risen up against me, and oppressors seek after my soul: they have not set God before them. Selah.
Behold, God is mine helper: the Lord is with them that uphold my soul.
He shall reward evil unto mine enemies: cut them off in thy truth.
I will freely sacrifice unto thee: I will praise thy name, O Lord; for it is good.
For he hath delivered me out of all trouble: and mine eye hath seen his desire upon mine enemies.


This psalm was written while Saul was chasing David. Read 1 Samuel 23 for that background story.

Verse 1 - God will save me when I am in need, like David said. He knew to call out to God, whose name and strength is much greater than ours. He is so awesome and knowledgeable that we should want to be judged by Him. We know it will be a fair and honest judgment and will make us better.

Verse 2 - As we read so often in scripture, God will hear my prayer and give ear to my words when I pray to Him.

Verse 3 - Strangers even are against David. They don't even know him but they've made it their personal business to attack him.

Verses 4-5 - David knew God was on his side. His "helper". God is on the side of righteous people, but those who are against Him will be rewarded with evil. They are on the path of destruction.

Verse 6 - I will freely sacrifice to God as I praise Him. This is not something forced. I know how good God is and therefore out of that comes praise. Freely.

Verse 7 - I can see throughout my life that God is my deliverer and His desire for my enemies is not success in beating me down.


Comments? Questions?

No comments: