Monday, August 19, 2013

Psalm 26

Today's scripture is Psalm 26. Go here to read it in your preferred version.

Judge me, O Lord; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the Lord; therefore I shall not slide.
Examine me, O Lord, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.
For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes: and I have walked in thy truth.
I have not sat with vain persons, neither will I go in with dissemblers.
I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked.
I will wash mine hands in innocency: so will I compass thine altar, O Lord:
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works.
Lord, I have loved the habitation of thy house, and the place where thine honour dwelleth.
Gather not my soul with sinners, nor my life with bloody men:
10 In whose hands is mischief, and their right hand is full of bribes.
11 But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity: redeem me, and be merciful unto me.
12 My foot standeth in an even place: in the congregations will I bless the Lord.


How often do we ask God to judge us? I mean, really? I don't even want my husband to judge me based on what he sees, but God sees all I do and knows all my thoughts and motives. So it's 100 times harder to ask God to judge me. We should ask Him consistently to show us the things in our lives that need to be removed, but that is hard and scary. 

Another question we have to ask ourselves is when people do make accusations against us. God... is this true? Point this out to me. Judge me. Tell me if this is something I need to consider and change. I may feel as though I have walked in integrity and trusted in God but He can open my eyes and show me if this is not true.

Verse 2 - So examine me, God. Test me. Look in my heart and my thoughts and make sure they align with your will and your desires.

Verse 3 - God, you are so loving and kind. From that love should my actions come. We should act out of God's love, not any religious reason or to look good.

Verses 4-5 - David talks about things we should not do in these verses. We should not surround ourselves with people who are against God and who outright disobey Him. If we choose wisely who to hang out with, it helps us stay strong in our faith.

Verses 6-7 - We have to try to be the best Christian we can to stay intimate with God and to be a good example. When we live by God's word, people are more likely to listen to us when we tell them the wonders of God.

Verse 8 - We should love to be in God's presence. We should long to be with Him and other believers. This should be like home to us.

Verses 9-10 - We should dread being associated with this type of person. Of course we are called to love all people but I think we all know when we are taking a relationship too far and it is affecting our relationship with God. When their hands have mischief and they are miserable and have no desire to change, we should run from these people.

As for me (verse 11) - It's a personal decision we have to make throughout all our lives. So as for me, I will walk in integrity. I am redeemed and God has been merciful to me and I want to repay Him for that. Rather than focusing on what you are doing wrong and where I saw you last night and who you were with - I'm going to keep on doing gut checks on my own self instead. Because I want to keep walking in integrity. The more I'm focused on you and what you're doing, the less I'm focused on my path.

My feet will stand on solid, even ground. I don't want to stumble or turn. I want to always be part of the congregation that blesses and praises God.

Questions? Comments?

No comments: