Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Applebee's Baby Back Ribs

This morning I was telling Kathee at work my plans for cooking tonight. We got ribs for a dirt cheap price at Food Lion the other day (two packs of ribs for around $3; about 2.5-3 lbs worth). I wanted to try a new recipe, of course, and I chose to do the Applebee's ribs sauce. Tim overheard and said, skeptically, that after fixing it I should add up how much it cost me to make it and then see how much it costs at Applebee's.

I took the challenge.

Don't know if he meant it as a challenge, but I'm taking it anyway. So, here are the ingredients, and beside them is about what I paid for them. I had to think REALLY hard on some of these, but if anything, I will estimate a higher price.

3 racks of baby-back pork ribs, each rack cut in half (about one pound each) (We have close to 3 lbs, paid $3 for them)
1 cup ketchup (bought the ketchup for $1.00 with triple coupons. 1 cup is 1/3 of the 24 oz bottle we have. That comes out to about $0.33)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (paid $1.49, using 1/4 cup of it would cost at most $0.25)
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar (Free. Do I really have to say this? I acquired this from Mary. I'm not as ashamed as I should be.)
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (bought for $0.89 with triple coupons. Considering that our jar is 10 oz., I think 3 tablespoons would be very inexpensive. There are 59 tablespoons in the jar, so probably less than $0.05).
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (We bought this in Charleston, so I have no clue how much it was. If I bought it right now it would cost $1.69, and the 1 teaspoon would cost maybe around $0.10. And that's pushing it.)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I'm definitely not counting salt. Free.)

That comes out to this recipe costing me $3.73. Let's just go overboard and say $5.00. Now let's look at Applebee's choices for ribs. The cheapest option is their half rack of ribs. For $12.49. Now, I don't know how many pounds are in a half rack of ribs, but I know that's usually between 7-8 ribs and we have 6. I have a feeling we came out on top. Woot! We win the non-existent challenge!

Oh, and the recipe is yours for free.

No comments: