Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Chocolate Truffle Pie (does that get your attention?)

We just finished the ribs I spoke of in my previous post. There are no words to describe the ribby goodness. Try that recipe. Now. And I'll even throw in dessert.

Granddaddy gave us some sweet corn, so we threw that on the grill too. Shucking and silking the corn reminded me of when I was younger!! That's comfort food.

This is the fantastic rib sauce. Thanks Applebee's!


You could tell Cassie wanted some BAD! Well, not in this picture. But really she did.


We ended up not doing all the ribs. I wish I could have eaten all of them! Mmmmm.




Don't worry, Cassie ended up getting plenty of bones!!



Now for dessert: Chocolate Truffle Pie


You will need:



1/2 cup pecan pieces, toasted and chopped (optional)
One 6-oz ready-to-fill chocolate crumb crust

CARAMEL LAYER
3/4 cup individually wrapped caramels (17 squares)
1/4 cup canned evaporated milk

TRUFFLE LAYER
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 Tbsp stick butter


Step one:
Sprinkle pecans on crust. Skip this step if you're like me and aren't fond of nuts.

Step two:
Heat caramels and evaporated milk in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring often until caramels melt and mixture is smooth. Pour over pecans, or into the empty crust.


Step three:
Heat chocolate chips, cream and butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. If you're like me, this will be the same saucepan you melted the caramels in. If you're smarter than me, this bowl will be in the microwave. Heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Pour over caramel layer.




Step four:
Refrigerate minimum 4 hours until set.


Step five:
Wonder for the rest of the night what that chocolately goodness is going to taste like.

1 comment:

Ken Loyd said...

Amanda, I have just devoured the chocolate truffle pie you left for me. I have the highest praise for this recipe: it is one dessert I would pay to eat in a restaurant. All my favorite ingredients. Thanks for remembering me. Mom and I will finish your chocolate raspberry buttercream at lunch tomorrow.