Sunday, November 13, 2011

#17 - Make Cookie Cutter Ornaments

Finally, I get to cross something else off my 101 in 1001 list!

Yesterday Brianna and I (and kind of Hunter) made cookie cutter ornaments. What an easy craft, and they turned out so cute!

I stopped by a local thrift store this morning and bought some Christmas cookie cutters - a sleigh, an angel, a teddy bear (I guess that's not really Christmas...) and a gingerbread man. They were 25 cents each. I had scrapbooking paper that Leila left here after she designed Brianna's nursery. (Thank you Leila!) And I already had the beads and ribbon I used. CHEAP!

First, you're going to want to trace the ornament onto a piece of patterned paper or you can photocopy pictures onto card stock. I did it on a cutting board because for my first ornament, I cut it out using an X-Acto knife. I highly recommend just using sewing scissors - the knife worked well but I had to go back around and fix the jagged edges.



Trace the ornament onto the paper:


Cut it out:



Dab craft glue (I used tacky glue) along the cookie cutter's edge. Press the paper in place and let dry. Thread a ribbon through a needle; poke between paper and cookie cutter, and wrap ribbon around top of cutter. Slip a bead over ribbon's ends; knot.



As you can see, I tweaked it a little bit. The beads I had wouldn't fit through the ribbon I had (and liked), so instead, I just used two beads and knotted the ribbon at the top.

Voila! Easy Christmas ornaments, and these would make a cute gift too!

No comments: