Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Day

Happy Easter! Did you know it is possible to give frugal gifts for holidays? EVEN FOR CHILDREN?? Sometimes I feel like people have forgotten that.

I made our children's Easter baskets weeks ago with just a few items in each one. I knew I made the right decision by downplaying the Easter Bunny when my 2-year old came home from preschool last week. Her grandmother asked her what Easter was about. Her reply? "Eggs!!" Okay, not quite on the mark. We've been talking about the Easter story a bit, but I know they're getting them revved up for the big egg hunt, so that's probably why she has eggs on the brain.

Then this past weekend, she was in nursery while my husband and I did an outdoor Easter drama at church. We got in the car to leave and I talked to her again about Easter being the next day. She repeatedly yelled out things about the Easter Bunny and candy and lots of exclamation points because we had not told her all this stuff was happening!!!

 I don't mind her knowing about egg hunts and the Easter bunny, I'm not saying that at all. I love giving gifts to our children. I love doing egg crafts and candy egg hunts and all that fun stuff. But I don't want her to think that's what Easter is all about.

Today, after church, I asked her again what Easter is about. This time, she said, "Jesus died. And then he lived again!" There we go!!

Now onto my very frugal Easter baskets! Sorry for my soapbox!
 
Brianna's basket (2 years old) contained: a Berenstein Bears book (10 cents from a local thrift store), bath coloring soap (99 cents from my friend who sells Avon), a pair of Princess Tiana socks (50 cents from Target after Christmas), gardening tools (20 cents each from Michaels clearance bin), a ring pop (17 cents from Dollar Tree), and half a bag of jelly beans (50 cents from Dollar Tree). Final total - $2.66!

Hunter's basket (18 months old) contained: a Sandra Boynton book (10 cents from a local thrift store), bath coloring soap (99 cents from my friend who sells Avon), a pair of Toy Story socks (50 cents from Target after Christmas), gardening tools (20 cents each from Michaels clearance bin), and half a bag of jelly beans (50 cents from Dollar Tree). Final total - $2.49!
I don't feel like they missed out on anything by not receiving a lot of goodies. They were happy with what they got and I had fun hunting out good deals throughout the past several months!!

Stephen went to the sunrise service at church this morning, but the kids and I didn't. We just went to regular church at 9:30. After church we had time to find the Easter baskets from the Easter Bunny and play with some of our new stuff. Then we went to lunch at my grandparent's house with my family. The kids had a ball doing egg hunts and playing with their older cousins Emma and Jessie! They got Easter goodies from Granny and Granddaddy like new books, trucks for Hunter, craft things for Brianna, and candy!





Later in the afternoon, Grandpa Steve and Kathy came over and brought the kids more Easter goodies! They got candy of course, and Hunter got his first airplane! Can you believe the kid doesn't have an airplane yet!? But the coolest toy was the Play-Doh Dentist kit that Brianna got! They didn't have toys like this when I was a kid!



You can actually make the teeth from white Play-Doh, brush the teeth (make toothpaste with red Play-Doh), make cavities with silver Play-Doh, and make braces with the silver Play-Doh! You can create a tongue with red Play-Doh and there are other dentist tools included in this kit!

Brianna and Hunter did get really fun Easter stuff from my parents and her family in Georgia too! Lots of crackers, and toys, and M&Ms! These kids didn't know what hit them this Easter.

“For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.” Romans 5:10

No comments: