Sunday, February 15, 2009

Want #15

We wanted to go back to Georgia soon to see our family, but not really for this reason. Our Grandma Loyd passed away last night in her sleep. I'm so grateful that she wasn't in any pain.

I'm one of those people that when I know that someone dies and is going to heaven, I like to think about what they're doing up there, based on what they liked to do down here. For example, I would imagine Grandma dancing, listening to someone play the piano, or playing cards. For some reason I always think of those three things when I think of her. But the truth is that I believe in heaven people don't care about those things anymore. I believe that your time is spent doing nothing but praising God. And the funny thing is, that's pretty much what Grandma spent the last year doing (really much longer than that). Since last April she had been in and out of the hospital, and whenever she was there, what did her visitors spend their time doing? Reading her scripture and singing hymns, mainly. I think she was just preparing for an eternity of that. I don't think she'll be disappointed with what she finds heaven to be like.

I told people at church today - I'm going to miss her, but I'm not very sad. I know she wouldn't come back here for anything, and I can't say I blame her. I do ask for prayers for our family - with travels, making arrangements and so forth. I always wondered how I would react when my first grandparent died, but it's been made unbelievably easier by the fact that I know she was a Christian, and also that I was able to see her more since last April than we usually get to in a year's time.

I'm so sorry to her children, her husband, her family and friends, including myself and my children, but it's all for selfish reasons. I'll be excited to see her again.

No comments: